[ X ]
[mod][wip] KKND 1&2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceReaper
Level: 54

Position: Registered User
Kel: 7  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: [mod][wip] KKND 1&2 Reply with quote

KKnD 1 & 2 Will be Part as "Classic Modes" in KKnD 3 Currently in development.
Sadly this wont be an OpenRA mod, as we are writing a whole new engine for it, which will also allow to dynamically switch between 3d and 2d mode. (KKnD 3 will be 3D)

As we do not have a website yet, you will find more information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZRtzrkuDm0

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/363/44m.gif

Hello everyone, i want to anounce that i've startet a new mod project for OpenRA.
Maybe some1 Remembers this both old games:
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKnD_series
KKND: http://melbournehouse.kknd2.com/kkndxtreme/images/screen_shots/kkndxe/kknd_x50.jpg
KKND2: http://www.holarse-linuxgaming.de/sites/default/files/2009-11-30-313/kknd2-2.jpg

My goal will be recreating both games as a mod for OpenRA.
At first ill do KKND only, and when its done i'll start working on the second game.
The main problem i have to beat at first is that there are no editing tools anywhere on the net. So im actualy reverse engeneering the .slv/.lvl file format which is used by the game. It looks like both games use them, but as i said: ill look into that later. For a little more help i decompiled the kknd.exe to some very unreadable C code, not that i plan to recompile it, but more to read it and understand how the package formats are working.

Last edited by IceReaper on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 am; edited 14 times in total
View user's profile Find all posts by IceReaper Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
mattn
Level: 55

Kel: 4  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:23 am  Reply with quote

make sure to post your findings in the ReWiki at http://rewiki.regengedanken.de/wiki/Main_Page
View user's profile Find all posts by mattn Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
helltone
Level: 51

Kel: 1  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Hey IceReaper, any progress on this?
View user's profile Find all posts by helltone Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
riderr3
Level: 58

Kel: 106  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

good. Still hope on Dune2000 mod Smile
View user's profile Find all posts by riderr3 Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
zzc
Level: 49

Kel: 1  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: kknd freak Reply with quote

Now megaupload is closed is there any way to get the extractor thingy?

Would it allow tinkering with the maps - add more units, change resources, move the odd tree away etc?

Very interested in this nostalgic game.

Am referring to xtreme version
View user's profile Find all posts by zzc Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
IceReaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Well... its quite a time ago now, however i started a second try with 2 more years of development skills, and finaly managed to fully decrypt and read the asset container files.
The demo version includes all sprites and sounds, its just missing the maps. The map sprites are stored inside the maps themself - so you can use custom ones in your maps. Sharing of maps is allowed, so basicaly you also share the map sprites.

Wrote a little show off tool (tested in chrome browser) http://eiveo.net/kknd/

The next step would be to implement the container file format into openRA and then write the mod.

About writing the mod: is there any bare minimum mod somewhere? when starting with an empty mod.yml the engine crashes, so it sepends on some minimum definitions.

Also anyone interested in seeing this done?

If anyone wants to test the original game:
http://nahoo.net/downloads/go/kknd2/games/kknd2/KKND2-Demo.exe
just wait a few seconds and the download begins - its the demo with all three factions.
(and this demo includes all assets required btw, so it should be no problem at all hosting it)
View user's profile Find all posts by IceReaper Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Cmd. Matt
Developer
Level: 63

Kel: 288  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like the hardest part (reverse engineering) is done. For the Dune 2000 mod I did not add the Fileformat to the engine, but added converter subroutines to OpenRA.Utility to create PNGs and then convert those PNGs to SHPs. Might not be the cleanest solution, but I wanted to prevent a fork as I was a beginner working on the d2k mod mostly alone. Also the .R8 fileformat of Dune 2000 was horrible to work with and still has some problems not solved.

To get started with modding, simply copy the mods/ra folder and start adapting/stripping it. The bare minimum is defined in OpenRA.FileFormats/Mod.cs but you might also want mostly everything in OpenRA.FileFormats/Manifest.cs to really have something that loads the game. I started with replacing red alert graphics one by one and did the tilesets last. We have a GUI tool for that now. Have a look at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Pixelart for some documentation.

I suggest you post something in KKND communities to see if people are interested in playing this and what improvements they suggest.
knivesron

Kel: 110  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

i think a kknd mod would be great and i think you should do it. been wanting to play this game on openra for a long time now
IceReaper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Anyone here willing to help me with the c# part? Got the whole extraction and convertion process done in java, however im in war with c#, doesnt even compile openRA - Basicaly i need my code implemented (and converted from java), then the asset files should be readable and ready to go.
Cmd. Matt
Developer
Level: 63

Kel: 288  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Post some code preferably on GitHub and tell us the specific error messages you get when trying to compile OpenRA. You can also join #openra on Freenode to get help faster.
JOo
Level: 51

Kel: 140  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

i can help you with a new UI ... ive done the UI for Cmd. Matts D2k ... and it would be an Honor to create a new Interface for KKnd ... (i love the postapokalyptic atmosphere)

but thats not really important right now ...
View user's profile Find all posts by JOo Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
IceReaper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Got someone for the c# part now Smile
xanax
Level: 39

Kel: 50  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I hope you haven't gave up to develop these mods.
Some people (like me) are longing to test it Smile
Harisson
Level: 75

Kel: 128  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

any progress ? I'm KKND fan....
IceReaper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:10 am  Reply with quote

..is being actively developed and making good progress. However sadly not as intended as openRA mod, but a complete custom made game.

Topic may be closed as this wont be an OpenRA mod anymore.